Saturday, December 15, 2012

What's in a Name?

This child needs a name!  Of course, she already has a Chinese name, which I will keep as her middle name.  I have done this with both of the boys...their name at birth became their middle name and I added an American first name.  I also want to choose a name with meaning.  This is important in Chinese culture, but it is also a tradition in our family.   I have been looking for a name that means  "joy" or "happiness".  I have written before how this child seems to exude joy.  How she seems to just bubble over with happiness.  How she is ALWAYS smiling!

I was thinking the other morning about the things in my own life that bring me joy....my family, my friends, even my job, but also many seemingly trivial things like eating a favorite meal, reading a good book, watching a movie, going on vacation...as my mind sifted through these things, I found myself wondering how this child could be so joyful?  After all, she has nothing....no family, no possessions to call her own, really not even a hope for a future.  By the world's standards, she has nothing, certainly no reason to be joyful.  

I found myself wondering then what it was that could fill her with such happiness?   And like a lightbulb turned on in my head, all of a sudden I knew...God spoke quietly to my heart, answering the question almost as soon as I asked it.  What does she have to be joyful about?  "She has ME...she is radiating MY joy.  I am her Father...I am pouring MY joy into her.". And so her name will be Abigail, which fits just perfectly, as it means "the Father's Joy".

So, now that we have a name, let's put a face to that name....introducing our Abigail!




No comments:

Post a Comment