Tuesday, September 2, 2014

One year update!!


I cannot believe that it has already been a year!  A year ago today, we were in China (Taiyuan), about to meet Abby for the very first time!

You must understand, before I go any further, that I had spent many months falling in love with this little girl through her pictures and video.  I had dreamed of how much fun we would have getting to know her....how she would most certainly fit perfectly in our family.  And while I knew it wasn't complete reality, I was definately happy in my little fantasy adoption world.  After all, with pictures like these, you can't blame me for dreaming a little, right??


As we stood on the steps of the Civil Affairs office that September day, I knew everything was about to change, not only for us, but also for this little girl that was soon to join our family.  Here is our last picture taken as a family of three (plus our wonderful friend Anita)...



We waited in the Civil Affairs office for a few minutes before I heard our guide excitedly announcing that Abby was coming down the hallway.  I remember trying so hard not to cry as she walked into the room.  She was so brave.  As she walked through that door, she was literally leaving everything she knew behind.  She tells me now that she was scared, but she certainly did not show it.  I have thought many times over the last year that she walked into that room and handed me her heart....completely, without reservation, in total faith that what lied ahead was better than what was behind.  Much like what our Heavenly Father asks of us, but I guess that is a post for another day....



In that moment, the world had one less orphan and the Strickland family became a family of four.


In the last year, Abby has changed so much. She has grown four inches taller and is now eleven pounds heavier.  Her hair is much longer and, after surviving her first Georgia summer, she is sporting a bit of a suntan.  She is happy, healthy, and is such a joy to everyone who knows her.  

Here are some of her highlights from her first year home....

School.....Abby started school after being in America for only one week.  She had just turned eight a few months earlier, but she was placed in first grade.  She was pulled out daily for a kindergarden reading class and for ESOL services.  To say Abby loved school would be the understatement of the century!  She routinely cried on Friday afternoons because there would be no school the next day.  She loved her new friends, her teachers, and even the homework that came home every afternoon.  By the end of first grade, Abby had learned all of her letters and sounds and was READING!  She is now a proud second grader!



Language....Abby's language EXPLODED after being in America only two months.  Yes, after only eight weeks, she completely stopped speaking in Chinese and, in what seemed like an overnight transition, became completely fluent in the English language.  It was amazing to witness!  She now talks all the time...and if you don't believe me, just ask Will and Josh!  With that said, I am beginning to see that her ability to understand what is said to her is not nearly as good as her ability to speak the language.  I find myself reminded almost daily that I have said something to her that she does not fully grasp.  She speaks so well....it is a struggle to remember that her receptive language skills are not as good as her expressive skills.  

Health....This year has been VERY busy with doctor appointments.  Abby was born with a myelomeningocele, which is a form of spina bifida.  In the last year, Abby has seen lots of doctors....an orthopedic surgeon, a urologist, and a neurosurgeon, to name a few,   She has been fitted for an AFO, had physical therapy, endured a four hour sedated MRI, had x rays, CT scans, urodynamics, ultrasounds, blood work, and lots of shots.  She had surgery in June to detether her spinal cord and was in the hospital for five days.  She has now completely recovered from surgery and my hope (and I am sure hers, as well) is that the worst of the medical is now behind us.  



Family....If I am going to be honest, this one has had some rough spots.  You do not bring an eight year old into your family and realistically expect that everyone is going to be happy all of the time.  It is definately an adjustment for everyone.  I often say that there is a green cloud of jealousy that hangs over our house some days.  And yet thankfully, there are more and more moments when the sun breaks through that cloud, and I know that we are going to be ok....I mean, really, look at these two...never a dull moment!


Overall, we have had an AMAZING first year.  To think that God could use my little bit of faith to bring such an incredible blessing to our family...I am humbled beyond words.   This girl is everything I dreamed of and more.   We are so incredibly lucky and blessed to be called her family!  Happy one year "Gotcha Day", Abby!!  We love you so much!!











1 comment:

  1. Amazing what time and a little love can do! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete