Sunday, January 5, 2014

Abby's English is good.  Really good.  At four months home, she can easily carry on a conversation, make her needs known, tattle on an offending party, and tell stories about life in China.

I actually could not wait until she would be able to tell me about her first eight years.  What she decides to share is all I will ever have.  I thought I wanted to know everything.

What I learned is that there is truth in being careful what you wish for, because alot of what she is sharing is heartbreaking.  Most of what she remembers I won't share here as those memories belong to her.

What I will share is a conversation we had last night.  Sitting on the couch with her, I wondered aloud why it took eight years for her to come home to America.  She turned to look at me, her face full of pain and her eyes spilling over with tears.  She said, "Mommy not hurry, Mommy not quick, my friends go to America, I thought no one would ever come for me."

This sweet girl, this little girl who has stolen everyone's heart, this child that brings so much blessing to our family....She thought no one was coming.  She thought she was going to be alone her entire life.  This breaks my heart in pieces.

And it breaks my heart that her friends are still in China right now, probably feeling much the same way.   And the reality is that for some of these sweet children, no one will ever come.  I just don't understand.  

A few weeks ago, I posted about Manuel.  He is on the left in the picture below, wearing the orange shirt.  He is one of Abby's friends from China.  He is nine years old and is perfectly healthy.  

Manuel is watching his friends leave for America.  The boy on the right is now living in Texas with his new family.  The boy in the middle will be adopted in the next few months.  I am sure Manuel wonders if anyone is coming for him.  

If you are reading this, I hope that you might prayerfully consider whether Manuel belongs in your family.  No child should have to worry about spending their life alone.  No child should ever have to wonder if someone will come for them. 


Manuel is currently listed with Holt International

Update: Manuel now has a family working on his adoption!.




No comments:

Post a Comment