Sunday, August 4, 2013

Questions....

It is interesting to talk to people about adoption.

Especially interesting when I find myself telling someone that our family is about to adopt a child from China.  

Especially interesting considering that I am a single mom, with two children.  (And yes, when I bring Abigail home, that will make three!)

I have found all of these conversations to be quite similar, almost to the point where I could predict the questions.  You'd think with so much practice, I would be good with the answers and yet, I never feel like I express myself quite right.  

The simple truth is....I am adopting this child because God told me to.  

And being obedient to God is exactly where I want to be, every second of every day.

Do I think it is going to be hard to raise three children?  Yes.  

Am I worried about the adjustment of a child who has spent eight years in an orphanage?  Definitely.

Am I concerned that she does not speak English?  A little bit.

Am I concerned about her medical needs?  Absolutely.

Am I brave? No....more like scared to death.

Is she lucky?  Not really.  Lucky would mean that she was born to parents who could raise her.  Lucky would mean that she did not have to spend eight years in an orphanage.  Lucky would mean that she would not have to give up everything....her language, her culture, her heritage...just so that she could have a family.

Are we lucky?  You bet!  After all, adoption is something that is very close to God's heart.  God has adopted each of us and made us His children.  By adopting Abigail, I learn a little more about God's love for me.  And I catch a glimpse of how God longs for us to be at home with Him just as I long for Abigail to be at home with us.  



1 comment:

  1. Great post! Thanks for writing it. I am all caught up now on my blog reading.

    ReplyDelete